If you have landed on this page, you know all about power racks and have probably been using them for years at your local gym. But buying a power rack for your home gym is another story.
Choosing the right power rack will boil down to how much you have to spend. I have split the options into budget power racks that are available on Amazon.com and high-end power racks available direct from the brands like Rogue Fitness and Life Fitness.
Power Rack FAQs
Most frequent questions and answers
Best Power Racks for Home Gyms 2019
- 1 Valor Fitness BD-7 Power Rack w/LAT Pull Attachment and Other Bundle Options for a Complete Home Gym
- 2 Titan T-2 Series Short Power Rack
- 3 Marcy Olympic Multi-Purpose Strength Training Cage with Pull Up Bars/Adjustable Bar Catchers and Pulley SM-3551
- 4 Goplus Power Rack Heavy Duty Pull/Chin Up Bars Squat Cage for Strength Training and Muscle Building
- 5 Rep Power Rack
- 6 Rogue Fitness Monster Lite RML-390c Power Rack
- 7 Rogue Fitness RM-6 M
- 8 Hammer Strength Power Rack – HD Elite
Valor Fitness BD-7 Power Rack w/LAT Pull Attachment and Other Bundle Options for a Complete Home Gym
- HEAVY DUTY- Constructed of 2" x 2" 12-gauge steel. Rubber base caps encase each foot to add safety, stability, and floor protection.
- VERSATILE- Includes a pull up station with knurled grip at the top of the rack, in addition to the lat pull down station with plate loading carriage (lap bar and low row/curl bar included).
- ADJUSTABLE- 27 variable positions for bar support, ranging in height from 17.5" to 68". Vibrant numbering system to easily identify variable positions.
- STORAGE PEGS- Allows for an organized home gym with 4 plate storage pegs measuring 8" each for ample storage for both Olympic and standard plates.
- ADDITIONAL- 500 lb. max load if using the bar catchers outside of the cage, 650 lb. max load if using the bar catchers inside the cage, 800 lb. max load for safety bars. 250 lb. max load on the Lat Pull. For longer wear and tear, gently return the carriage to the starting position. Warranty, 3-year frame, 2-year cable, and 1-year hardware. Arrives in 2 separate boxes.
Valor Fitness is a USA based company started back in 2006 by Jim & Julie Vanderbleek.
The BD-7 power rack is built from 12-gauge steel and the frame is 2” thick. The total working area approximately 44 inches from side-to-side and and 24” from the front of the power rig to the back.
The power rig comes with 4 plate racks which are suitable for olympic plates. The Valor BD-7 power rack is a very good buy as it comes with a lat pull-down station which can handle a maximum weight of 350 lbs.
The BD-7 has 333 reviews on Amazon, 90% of users giving the products 4/5 stars. Also 226 questions have been answered by the Valor Fitness and other users.
Titan T-2 Series Short Power Rack
- GREAT FOR IMPROVING FORM: The purpose of working out is to strengthen your muscles, not hurt them! That's why it's vital to practice good form while you're lifting weights. The Titan T2 Power Rack is designed with your safety and comfort in mind. It includes dip bars and other features designed to safely optimize your workout.
- BUILD STRONG MUSCLES: This short Titan Power Rack is a must-have! This piece of equipment can fit in small basements that won't accommodate standard power racks. You can perform a variety of exercises with this rack, including chin-ups, dips, curls, deadlifts, and squats. If you want to do bench presses, place a bench underneath and you're good to go. In no time, you'll be looking fit and trim!
- DIMENSIONS: This durable steel power rack weighs about 123 lbs. It has a total height of 71.5", has a 44-inch opening, and has a depth of 24". It takes up 48" x 58" of the floor. The steel tubes are 2" x 2". The pull-up bar is 68.5" off the ground. This compact rack is perfect for your home gym, basement, or garage. Add this amazing rack to your collection today.
- STURDY STEEL CONSTRUCTION: Our power rack is a fantastic investment for both serious athletes and beginners alike! It's made from heavy-duty steel for durability. Its all-steel structure ensures that it will hold up for years without damage. The powerful steel frame is also strong enough to hold a capacity of up to 700 lbs.
- QUICK & EASY ASSEMBLY: Don't waste time with excess hardware and complicated construction. Setting up your power rack with all your workout gear and accessories is simple. This set comes with all necessary hardware, including J-hooks. With Titan products, you'll spend less time assembling your new equipment and more time using it!
Titan Fitness are a dedicated gym gear manufacturer based in Memphis, TN USA. They do a large range of different sized power rigs and strength training gear like kettle bells, dumbells and power lifting plates.
The Titan T2 power rack is a short power rack as only measures 45” in depth, perfect for a small garage gym. The T2 is pretty basic but has everything you need for home starter gym.
The product has 154 good reviews on Amazon.
Marcy Olympic Multi-Purpose Strength Training Cage with Pull Up Bars/Adjustable Bar Catchers and Pulley SM-3551
- ADJUSTABLE STYLE BAR CATCHES - This strength cage is designed with an adjustable, commercial-style bar catch so that you can move from bench press to squats easily. This workout machine also has a multi-handle pull up station with wide and narrow grips.
- HIGH AND LOW PULLEYS - The high and low pulleys offer a wide range of upper and lower body exercises for a strong and confident physique. Build up your chest, shoulders, back, biceps, triceps, and abdomen using the cable pulleys to target all muscles.
- WEIGHT PLATE STORAGE - The Olympic Strength Cage features weight plate shelves, allowing you to pile dumbbells and kettle weights for easy access and storage during workouts. This weight stack trolley, as well as weight plate storage rack holds 150lbs.
- HIGH- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION - This training machine is made with a commercial-grade solid steel frame to ensure years of use, making it a versatile machine that gives you the ability to exercise in the comfort of your home or office.
- Exercise Station Types: Pull-Up Bar, Low Pulley, Ab Crunch Station, High Pulley, Dips Bar
The Marcy fitness brand is owned by Impex, who also own other brands like Apex and Steelbody. Impex have been in the fitness industry since 1982 and have a history of supplying quality fitness gear.
This power rack is slightly bigger than the Valor one with a thicker build being constructed of 14 gauge thick steel. It is also a caged rig, having a multiple-grip pull up bar going along the top. Marcy call this an ‘Olympic Strength Cage’ due to its ability to hold 135kg loads.
This power rig also has a high and low pulley system like the Valor rig to allow for a full body workout.
Goplus Power Rack Heavy Duty Pull/Chin Up Bars Squat Cage for Strength Training and Muscle Building
- 【Heavy-Duty Construction】Goplus power rack is made of 2" x 2" square steel frame with a scratch proof powder coated finish, resist rust and corrosion, added extra durability and designed for long-term use. Assembled dimensions of 44"x 46" x 84". Large walk in space providing easy side to side movement.
- 【14 Variable Positions】14 position holes spaced 3.9" apart makes adjustable height range from 18" to 68", allows you to lift heavy weights safely and store barbells tidily.
- 【Solid Chin Up/Pull Up Bars】Made of 41 inches long electroplate solid steel bar, diameter of 1 inche with a weight capacity of 450 lbs. Well trained your upper back, shoulder and arm muscles.
- 【Two Liftoffs & Two Safety Rods】This power rack features with two heat-tempered liftoffs and two saber-style safety rods that hold up to heavy use through the years.
- 【All-in-one Exercise Station】Well trained your military, chest, back, arm and legs muscles. A great space saving unit for every home gym to target and strengthen core muscles in your humble abode with this full cage home workout system.
Goplus have created a basic power rig here which is good if you are on a budget, Goplus don’t specialize in fitness though. There amazon page shows everything from inflatable paddle boards to power tools.
Rep Power Rack
- 84(height)x48(width)x48(depth) inches - 58 inches wide at rear bottom brace
- 1000 lb capacity on bar hooks, 400 lb on pullup bar, 400 lb on dip attachment
- 26 inch inside-to-inside depth and 44 inch width is plenty of working room
- Includes Power rack with dual pullup bars, 1.25 inch standard and 2 inch fat-grip, dip attachment. Does NOT include bench
- Matte black powder coating, plastic-lined j-cups to protect bar knurling, numbered uprights every 5th hole, extra bar holders on front of safeties
Rep fitness is a small fitness equipment company started in 2012 and based in Colorado. Rep do a good range of gym gear for home and commercial use, including 12 different power rack models. The models go from PR-1000 to PR5000 which is a commercial rig capable of supporting 1500lb.
The PR1000 above can handle a 1000lb capacity which is enough for any home use. It has 2 pull up bars and an additional dip bar attachment which most rigs don’t have.
The rack is constructed of 2×2” solid steel and has a total height of 84”, suitable for any garage gym.
Best Professional Power Racks for Home or Commercial Use
Rogue Fitness are based in Colubus, Ohio and are the biggest brand in crossfit. They do a good range of gym gear from power racks and plates through to apparel.
Rogue Fitness to a range of power rigs from $915.00 to through to the $5000 Monster Lite Monkey Rig 2.0.
The RML-390C is the entry level power rig which is an awesome mini rack for under $1000 and perfect for a garage style gym. It has all the functionality of a standard power rack and comes in a range of funky colors.
This power rig is made in the USA not some Chinese built BS! It stands at 90” and built with 3×3” guage steel. It can be bolted to the floor and comes with a load of optional extras like the Monster Lite Srap Safety system and Safefy Spotter Arms. Note, going made on add-ons will bump you up way over the $1000 mark!
The RM-6 power rack is in the middle of Rogues range of products at $2075.00. This type of rig was built for professional athletes and high school gyms. This rig is a lot longer than the power rigs we have previously reviews with a length of 76”, supported by 3 pairs of uprights opposed to the standard 2. The rig also has 8 plate holders and a full range of add-ons.
This rig is fully customizable when you place you order, with different heights and colors.
Hammer Strength Power Rack – HD Elite
The HD Elite is a commercial power racks with a price to match. The HD Elite is aimed at gyms looking to use a power rack for small group training sessions. The rack is customizable modules that you order according to your needs.
Pricing is not available on the site, you need to ‘request more information’ so be prepared to spend big if you are going down this route.
Power Rack Essential Exercises - Get in Beast Mode!
A power rack or a squat rack is an important piece of equipment in your home gym if you are looking to lift weights seriously. Whether you want to lose fat or gain muscle, this versatile piece of equipment will help achieve your goals.
So why waste away your money on gym memberships when you can improve results with one solid piece of equipment like the power rack. In fact, some of the best workouts can be performed with a bench, barbells and a power rack. All you need is a list of power rack exercises, and you’re all set.
The adjustable pins on the power rack are a godsend. You can easily set the pins to your height or for a specific workout. And the safety catches will make your workout a delight. The safety catches will ensure the barbell does not go below a certain point. So, even if you were to lose control, the weight won’t land on you.
These features of the power rack give you a lot of confidence. You can workout knowing full well that you won’t suffer any injury even if you were to make a slip-up. This allows you to take on heavier weights, which will allow you to get stronger and build a better body.
A wide range of power racks is available in the market each boasting a variety of features. Even the simplest model is worth its weight in gold. That’s how versatile this equipment is. A basic power rack is ideal for the most essential weight training workouts like the bench press, squat, barbell should press and deadlift.
However, a variety of advanced power racks are available that boast features such as low and high pulleys and pull-up sections that offer you a lot more options for your workout.
Here is a list of power rack exercises you can perform safely, correctly and with the full range of motion.
Power Rack Squats
Nothing beats a power rack when you want to do squats with confidence. Even if you were to fail while standing up from a squat, the safety bars and the spotters will come handy. Should something go wrong, simply drop the bar and the pins will take care of it.
This is a fantastic exercise for your back muscles and deltoids. It’s a great workout for beginners who are struggling with pull-ups. This workout can help you to progress towards doing perfect pull-ups.
Power Rack Bench Press
The bench press is a full body, compound movement workout. It works the chest, the triceps and the shoulders. It’s the best workout for building upper-body strength and muscle mass. You will need to decent adjustable weights bench for this exercise, check out Fitness Purity’s bench reviews.
Looking to broaden the shoulders? This move can help with that. The barbell shrug works your Trapezius muscles. In the absence of a power rack, picking and putting down the barbell can become uncomfortable and difficult.
Barbell Overhead Press
This movement will enhance the strength of your shoulders. However, picking up the barbell and putting it back down can seem tricky for beginners. The power rack comes handy here. Simply set the rack at the optimal start position and you can comfortably perform this movement with confidence.
The deadlift is a vital exercise that works every muscle in your body and a rack pull can help you develop your deadlifting skills.
The pull-up is a body weight workout that really builds your shoulders and back. Most power racks feature a pull-up bar.
This is yet another wonderful body weight workout that builds your upper body especially the biceps and the back.
Barbell Biceps Curl
The barbell curl is one of the best workouts for biceps. It builds mass and strength while also working several other muscles.
The dip is your move when you want to build your shoulders, triceps as well as your chest. However, not all power racks feature a dip station. So if you are looking to do this workout, choose one with a dip station.
This is a fantastic movement if you are looking to build your lats. That’s not it though. This move builds your biceps, rear delts and lower back. The power rack is the perfect equipment for barbell rows as it helps you to handle the heavy weights without going very deep.
This is a very good exercise for your ab muscles. You can do this workout simply using the pull-up bar or if you’d like more support, invest in a good strap.
Cable Crossover Workout
There are some power rack variants that can help you do many more exercises. Some power racks feature low or the high pulley functions and there are power racks that come with weight stack add-on. These additional features could come as a standard in some power racks. Alternatively, you can even buy these separately. With these features, your power rack can be used to do cable curls, cable rows, triceps push down and more.
I am sure there are many other power rack exercises out there. But one thing is clear – a squat rack is a vital piece of equipment in any gym. These exercises can help build your muscles in no time. All you need is a good quality power rack.
If there are any exercises you think should be a part of this list, please do share your thoughts in the comments below.
Jamie is a running addict and gym junkie. He trains 7 days per week and is currently doing an MA in nutrition and sports science