Whey protein is everywhere, but it is derived from cows, not good for vegetarians or vegans looking for a decent protein powder.
The good news is, there is plenty of options for vegans with new protein products coming out every month. The protein industry is currently exploding, creating lots of innovation such as protein water, protein ice creams and even vegan protein powders developed in a lab.
Vegan Protein Powder v Whey Protein Powder
Plant based protein powders generally have lower protein per serving than Whey, typically 20g to Whey’s 25g. But plant-based proteins are packed with vitamins and minerals which can actually aid the absorption of the amino acids. Plant based proteins are also better for you digestive system as they contain fiber and digestive enzymes.
You do not have to be vegan to want to use a vegan protein powder. I really don’t like using grass-fed whey protein as it makes me fart and burp terribly (sorry readers)! Last year I bought bulk protein isolate, but had to stop taking it after a week. As soon as I drank it, I felt bloated…like someone had pumped my stomach full of air. I think I could be slightly lactose intolerant.
Since then, I have tried 8 different plant based protein powders – all chocolate as most other flavours taste grim. I also find chocolate flavors work best in smoothies. There are lots of different vegan plant protein powders like hemp and pea, but they do not give you ALL 9 essential amino acids. To get all these in one hit, you need a blended powder containing all the main plant proteins.
And the best vegan chocolate protein powder is…
#1 Vega protein and greens – Chocolate flavour (20g of protein per serving)
“Plant Based Protein Powder, Gluten Free, Non Dairy, Vegan, Non Soy, Non GMO by Vega”
- PLANT BASED PROTEIN POWDER: 20 grams vegan protein from a multisource blend of pea protein, brown rice protein, and sacha inchi protein
- GREENS: Including ingredients like organic alfalfa powder, spinach powder, broccoli powder, and organic kale powder
- NO ADDED SUGAR: Vega Protein & Greens is sweetened with stevia, our naturally calorie free sweetener of choice. We know stevia isn't for everyone, so we also offer our stevia-free Plain Unsweetened (previously Natural) flavor
- EASY TO BLEND OR SHAKE: Add an easy 20 grams plant-based protein to your day. Vega Protein & Greens can help upgrade your morning smoothie or provide a quick afternoon snack when shaken with water or non-dairy milk
- KETO FRIENDLY: This product is low carb and keto friendly. Our top tip? Add coconut oil to your smoothie or shake for a little extra fat. Not a medical food
Vega are one of the biggest players in the market and are Amazon’s best seller with nearly 1500 reviews.
Vega was started by a professional triathlete, Brendan Brazier. He found that plant based proteins helped him recover much faster than the standard whey protein he was taking. The problem was that plant based protein powders were not ‘ thing’a few year ago.
Brendan started Vega to work on blended vegan protein powders.
The Vega protein and greens consists of the following plant based proteins:
-Brown rice protein
-Sacha Inchi protein
This product also blends in organic Alfalfa grass powder which is high in vitmins A,C and E along with being packed with essential minerals.
Vega produce some amazing protein powders, this one is the best tasting chocolate protein powder in the vegan sector
If this blend does not pack enough punch for you, Vega also do an All-in-One Chocolate shake, which blends all the above with antioxidants and probiotics.
- ALL IN ONE: Start your day with multisource protein, vitamins, minerals, probiotics, antioxidants, and omega 3s, all sourced from the power of plants in Vega One Organic
- PLANT BASED PROTEIN: 20grams of protein from a complete multisource blend of organic pea protein, organic sunflower seed protein, and organic pumpkin seed protein
- VITAMINS and MINERALS: Get 50% DV of 8 vitamins and minerals in a serving, all from real, plant based food ingredients in each scoop of Vega One Organic
- ANTIOXIDANTS: Excellent source of vitamin C from acerola cherry juice and vitamin A from carrot juice
- ANYTIME NUTRITION: Blend a serving of Vega One with your favorite fruit as a meal replacement
All Vega powders are full certified.
This product is so popular, Amazon lets you subscribe to it monthly. One-click and you get your vegan protein powder delivered to you door every month.
Vegan Protein Powder Without Stevia
Stevia is a natural plant extract which acts as a sugar substitute, but the amazingly has NO calories. The problem with stevia is it’s 200 times sweeter than sugar. Many protein powder manufacturers go overboard with how much stevia they add to their blends, making them way too sweet, especially if you add the powders with other fruits in a smoothie.
Most of the blended plant based protein contain stevia or stevia extracts. If you really hate the taste of stevia and looking for stevia-free options, I would recommend TOPBiT All-in-One Plant Based Protein Powder (chocolate flavor).
Bonus: Vegan chocolate protein smoothie (My secret recipe!)
- 1 Banaana
- Handful of frozen blueberries
- Half an avacado
- One scoop of Vega Chocolate protein and greens
You end up with a chocolate mousse-type smoothie which tastes amazing and has around 400 calories when mixed with water or you can go all out and mix with coconut milk (not the canned BS). I think I need to trade mark this smoothie it’s that good!
More Vegan Protein Products by Vega
Vega produces a few other good vegan protein products like the snack bars which are really handy for work or travelling.
- PREMIUM PLANT BASED PROTEIN: 10 grams protein from brown rice, pea protein, and hemp
- FIBER: 4 grams fiber from chia and hemp seeds
- DECADENT TASTE: Sink your teeth into crispy, chewy layers of plant based goodness
- CERTIFIED: Vegan certified, Non GMO Project Verified, gluten free, no artificial flavors or preservatives
- ON THE GO: Take a Vega Protein Snack Bar with you whenever you need a snack with substance
- PREMIUM PLANT PROTEIN: 20 grams of plant protein from pea protein, hemp protein, and pumpkin seed protein in each bottle
- VITAMINS & MINERALS: Each bottle of Vega Protein Nutrition Shake contains 25% Daily Value of 11 vitamins and minerals from real plant-based foods
- VEGGIES & GREENS: With ingredients made from leafy greens, green algae, and vegetables
- FIBER AND OMEGA-3s: Get 12% Daily Value of fiber and 1g of omega-3 ALA from flaxseed
- SUPERCHARGED CERTIFICATIONS: Vega Protein Nutrition shake non-GMO Project Verified, vegan certified, low-glycemic, gluten-free, and without dairy or soy ingredients
- VEGA SPORT PREMIUM ENERGIZER: You want a boost of energy to help fuel your workout... Without artificial flavors and sweeteners. Enter Premium Energizer
- CAFFEINE: 100mg of caffeine sourced primarily from organic coffee fruit, a plant-based source that uses the entire fruit (not just the bean)
- PREMIUM CARBOHYDRATES: Power your workout with 16g of simple carbohydrates from brown rice syrup and coconut palm sugar - no artificial sweeteners
- PRE-WORKOUT: Get the caffeine and carbohydrates you want to help fuel your workout with real, plant-based food ingredients
- 50% DV B12
- IRONMAN TITLE SPONSOR: As the leader in premium plant-based sport nutrition, we're excited to join the IRONMAN `Ohana as the Title Sponsor and the Official Recovery Nutrition partner of the 2019 Vega IRONMAN World Championship
- VEGA SPORT RECOVERY: Helps replenish your glycogen stores and get you ready for whatever comes at you next
- PREMIUM CARBOHYDRATES: 16 grams premium carbohydrates
- ELECTROLYTES: Sport focused ratio of sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium to help restore your electrolyte balance
- B VITAMINS
Jamie is a running addict and gym junkie. He trains 7 days per week and is currently doing an MA in nutrition and sports science