More people than ever use raw hemp for their protein and fiber requirements. Before the Raw hemp powder is made, all the psychoactive ingredients are removed, leaving the health benefits alone. The plant is different from cannabis; it is a little like comparing a dandelion to a rose.
When protein powders first came out, they were made from whey. Whey has a slight taste of sour milk that, some hate, and others cannot tolerate. There are other options out there, such as pea or brown rice protein, which have an acquired taste.
Hemp plants are organic, and the final product has little taste, so it will mix well with a variety of foods. Hemp seeds are used in cooking as a substitute for breadcrumbs for those that are gluten intolerant. Hempseeds have more edestin protein than other foods. Edestin helps digestion, metabolism, and hormone production.
Hemp has long been used from making rope in the shipping industry, and it has never lost its’ appeal as a product. The price of hemp protein is noticeably less than that of other protein sources, making it more appealing to those that do not use supplements.
Hemp protein contains all 9 essential amino acids for building muscle and is a great protein powder alternative over whey protein. Though hemp protein is a vegan protein, it is very similar to the proteins found in egg whites. Like a lot of vegan proteins, the percentage of protein is lower so you will need more of the powder to hit your protein intake targets.
So, which is the best Hemp Protein Powder?
Nutiva Hi-Fiber HempProtein Powder
- Rich in plant protein, fiber, magnesium, iron, zinc, and sustainable source of amino acids, fatty acids, protein, and edestin—one serving provides 11 grams of raw organic protein and 11 grams of fiber with no trans or saturated fats
- Made from raw hemp seed and gently cold-pressed without the use of hexane, preservatives, additives or added sugar for a clean, plant-based protein that's high in Omega 3 fats and antioxidants
- Delicious light nutty flavor easily blends into smoothies, shakes, and more for Whole30, vegetarian, vegan, raw, whole food, paleo, ketogenic, and gluten-free diets
- Nutiva partners with Canadian farmers to source the world’s finest organic, non-GMO, sustainably grown hemp seeds and stringently adheres to USDA certified organic and non-GMO guidelines to deliver food that is good for you and good for the planet
- Balance of omega 6 Gamma Linoleic Acid (GLA) to omega-3 Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA) for balanced diet
Nutiva has made organic foods for over 20 years, using alternative organics, such as coconut and hemp. Hemp is a keto-friendly superfood perfect for those that do a lot of training and want to improve their speed of recovery. Hemp powders are rich in fiber and protein, and Nutiva has gone further and made a hi-fiber version of their popular powder.
Process: Cold Milled
RDA per Serving: 80 Calories, 0.56 oz Protein, 0.21 oz Fiber, 6% Fat
Size: 3-Pound Bag
This powder from Nutiva has a low 80 calories per serving, far lower than an alternative such as whey, which also has more fat. Hemp has a decent amount of potassium, magnesium, and iron to cover some of the basic nutrients your blood needs.
The biggest plus is the number of natural amino acids present in organic hemp. This powder has 18 amino acids that include 9 essential amino acids and 3 Branched-Chain Amino Acids (BCAA).
-Easy to Dilute
>> Read also our guide to the best protein water in the market if you are looking for quick protein hits post workout.
- High in Protein,Omega's, & Amino Acids
- Cold Stored & Shipped Direct
- Always Freshly Harvested
- Organic, Gluten Free, Vegan, Raw, Non GMO
MOCU hulls their seeds to leave protein-rich hemp hearts. This has the effect of reducing the amount of fiber, but the other health benefits stay. Those with high blood pressure or heart conditions may need to take more care of how much fiber they get from hemp seed supplements.
Process: Hulled and Cold Stored
RDA per Serving: 170 Calories, 0.35 oz Protein, 0.035 g Fiber, Fat 19%
Size: 33-Pound Bulk Bag
The removal of the husk takes away the grit that is present in some whole hemp-seed powders, making it an easy ingredient to mix into foods, even salads. Most people would make this into a bright green smoothie to drink on the way to work or after a workout.
This is a giant pack, and as a thank you, MOCU has offered a 2-pound bag of organic hemp seed powder and 2 pounds of organic chia seeds for free. Pounds for pound, this is one of the least expensive protein powders available, and it is organic.
-High in Calories
-Low in Fiber
Raw Power – Premium Raw
- Ingredients: 100% hemp protein powder. 100% raw, unheated, cold-processed, organically-grown, unsprayed, NON-GMO, vegan. (NO additives, NO preservatives, NO chemicals, NO fillers, NO binders, NO sweeteners, NO sprays, NO fertilizers, etc.)
- Hemp protein powder is a whole food protein powder rich in complete protein (containing 50% protein) and beneficial branch chain amino acids.
- It is made from organic hemp seeds, which have the most complete edible and usable protein in the vegetable kingdom.
- This highly digestible powder contains a good balance of Omega 3 and Omega 6 Essential Fatty Acids.
- It has a yummy, nutty flavor. Add to your salad dressings, sprinkle on your salads, add to your smoothies or shakes, add to your green juice drinks and green smoothies.
Raw Power is a family business; run by experienced bodybuilders that know what is best for building muscle. The hemp seeds are shelled and then cold-stored to preserve the BCAAs in the hemp hearts. No sweeteners or other additives, this is a pure organic powder with all the health benefits of raw hemp.
Process: Hulled and Cold Stored
RDA per Serving: 125 Calories, 0.5 oz Protein, 0.14 g Fiber, Fat 21%
Size: 1-Pound Bag
The powder holds omegas 3 and 6 in nominal amounts and over 50% protein. There is no noticeable taste to the powder, so it will mix well with near any food type. The grit is noticeable, even when mixed in well, and it will sink to the bottom of a shaker bottle.
The best part about hemp seed powder is the levels of manganese and potassium that cuts the desire to eat after a workout. And hemp is gentle on the stomach, so you do not end up with the same bloating many suffer from in whey or vegetable protein supplements.
-High in Protein
-Low in Carbohydrates
-High in Fat
Jeff’s Best Hemp Raw
- FINEST GRIND- Raw, Organic, Gluten Free, Cold Milled, Finest Purest Grind Available- - 16 grams of Protein, and 6 grams of Fiber per 30g Serving-98% Absorption and Digestibility rate. Highly bio-available with no added flavors.
- PRISTINE FAIR DEAL SOURCING-Our hemp seeds are sourced exclusively from Pristine small Organic Canadian Fair Deal Farms, where farmers are always paid a fair price for their crops, no low balling, no bullying, no corporate intimidation. Always fair, All Day, Every Day
- BEYOND JUST BPA FREE- We offer Zero Fat to Plastic interaction by being packaged All in Amber glass. with airtight plastisol sealed metal lids.
- SUPERIOR PRODUCTION AND WAREHOUSE STANDARDS- Done in Small Batches, produced locally by hand in beautiful Southern California, for Maximum Freshness with a delicious rich nutty taste. We never use distributors, it is always direct from us to you!
- THE KING OF SUPERIOR PHYTO- PROTEINS: Apart from the fact that this amazing plant is recognized easily by the body with a relationship of use with human beings spanning over 50,000 years of proveable traceable use, hemp seed protein offers a Superior Edistin Protein for Superior Muscle Building and Nutritional Results, Easily Digestible, with a full amino acid profile, may assist with blood sugar issues.
This is the most expensive hemp protein supplement on the list with comparable levels of protein and fiber, to Nutiva. Though Jeff’s have gone a step further in their packaging, their powder is stored in a glass tube, and not a plastic container. Plastic storage has links to the xenoestrogens that develop when a plastic container contacts food.
Process: Ground and Cold Stored
RDA per Serving: 120 Calories, 0.56 oz Protein, 0.2 oz Fiber, 0% Fat
Size: 1-Pound Bag
Jeff’s food products are as organic as it is possible to make them. All the hemp is farmed in organic conditions, meaning no pesticides, and no artificial fertilizers. The USDA is also certifying the final product to ensure strict quality control and consistency. If you are looking for the purest form of hemp protein powder, Jeff’s of one of the best.
There is no fat in Jeff’s powder, so it will work well with most diets, and it leaves the gate open for adding the supplement to other fatty products for taste. Jeff’s Best hemp powder also holds superior edestin protein, and it is easy to digest.
Which Hemp Seed Powder?
If money is no object, Jeff’s Best is the best. If you a going to buy a supplement to be healthier, it makes sense to buy it in a healthy glass container. Jeff’s Best also has no fat and a great variety of essential amino acids, which offer a great mix of benefits. I use this powder daily and add to my high protein muesli I make myself.
Raw Powder is a little too expensive for what you get, and the high-fat content may not suit everyone’s dietary requirements. As with all hemp products, there is plenty of fiber, and the most important, protein. Though this powder is well processed, and some may prefer the smoother taste.
>> You might also want to consider trying pumpkin seed protein powder for another vegan protein option
MOCU is bar far the most economical of the 4, and a huge 33-pound bag along with two 2-pound bags for free, that will satisfy your protein needs for quite a while. MOCU hemp is grown and made in the USA under the strict guidelines, that some other manufacturers cannot boast to.
If you want to try a small bag of hemp protein, the Nutiva is the best place to start. All the proteins go down better with an added food, such as milk, to hide the slight grain texture. And the price per pound makes it competitive with MOCU’s version of hemp seed powder.
You might also like: