I am writing this blog from a cheap but nice hotel room 30 off km from where I started this morning. 30km is not too bad for a day’s running but when the day was cut sort because my knee couldn’t continue it kind of sucks! To add to that the inner tube in might left tyre has a puncture.
So I have two problems that need fixed. The inner tube is pretty simple. I will take the wheel off, remove the inner tube, find the hole, patch it and then repeat replace. All will be fine.
The knee that is a little different. Not such an easy process and definitely quite vital to my expedition. I have done some research and when inputting “stiff hip” + “sore knee” + “sore thigh” the information returned from google all seems to point to something amiss with my IT band. These are the causes according to Runners World: “wearing worn-out shoes, running downhill or on banked surfaces, running too many track workouts in the same direction, or simply running too many miles.” (here is the website http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/itbs-iliotibial-band-syndrome)
So lets analyse this:
- Worn out shoes – I am wearing a pair of Adidas shoes bought in Tijuana – That’s about 1700km away. My backups area pair of Nike (probably fake as I bought them in a coffee shop) that have been with me for over 1000km
- Down hill – There are a lot of long down hills
- Banked surfaces – the roads are curved to help the water run off. Its the right leg that is injured and is on steepest part of the road
- Too many track workouts in same direction – I have run 4600km in the same direction on tarmac
- Simply running too many km – err think the same answer as above
I am not sure we have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure this one out!!! So what to do!
Well first of all I am not a quitter!!! I am 40km from the next town and 100km from the next city… So tomorrow morning I am going to walk to Melaque which is 40km away. When I get there I am going to look for new shoes and fingers crossed I can find them. If I do then I am going to take a proper break from running and rest, stretch and massage my leg. If I can’t find any shoes I am going to walk to Manzanillo and do it there. So please excuse me if my progress appears to fall off a cliff. I am over a quarter of the way through my expedition and I am going to take the necessary precautions to ensure that I see this through to the end!
I know what is running through some of your minds, “Won’t he get bored walking?” and the answer is no. I have just downloaded the first 8 episodes of the BBC dramatization of War and Peace. That should keep me going!
Sent from Windows Mail